Valentine’s Day is synonymous with showing the people in your life how much they mean to you, how much you appreciate them, how much you love them. It could be your spouse, your friends, your kids, or even your dog. The list of the people you love could be endless.
But are you on the list of people you love?
I know, it’s a bit “big-concept”, right? But really, are you? I know I’m not. I mean, not really.
The thought occurred to me last week, when I’d had a long day at work. I’d come home to my toddler teaching his plate how to fly across the dining room and my 5 year-old dramatizing the absolute torture that is finishing her milk.
By the time we got them both to bed, I was spent. I was out of energy, out of will power, and out of patience. I needed to take some time for myself. The noise that was my life that day was way too loud, and I needed to tune it out for a bit, even if all I did for myself was go to bed early.
It’s typical though isn’t it? How women, and moms especially tend to put themselves pretty low on their priority lists, myself included. Work and family just have a much more direct avenue of demanding our attention, and so our own voice becomes quieter and quieter. Until one day, when we’ve had enough. And those days are just nasty.
Showing ourselves some love can really take the edge off the chaos that is parenthood.
It reduces stress, and gets you out of mom mode for a while, allowing you to enjoy the things that make you happy. Woah, mind blown, I know. That’s a win-win-win when it comes to your kids, your spouse and yourself.
So with Valentine’s Day coming up, and after having a particularly hard time that night, I’m going to take a little extra time for me. Here are ten ways that you can do the same:
- Get your ‘ooooooohhhhhmmmmm’ on by doing some yoga, every day if you can. Feels good, and that’s good enough for me.
- Take yourself to the movies. That’s right, this isn’t high school. You’re totally capable of treating yourself to a chick flick if you want.
- Hide in the closet and check in with your favourite blog. Don’t worry babe, I’ve got your back. Ssssshhhhh.
- Enjoy your morning coffee on your front porch, before you’re overrun with toddlers, Cheerios and maple syrup.
- Listen to music that you loved when you were growing up. Stir up some good memories. Bonus points if you rock the parachute pants.
- Treat yourself to a spa pedicure; no skimping lady, you’ve earned it.
- Send the kids for a sleep over at Grandma’s. That’s it, nothing else, just enjoy a kid-free evening.
- Jump in the tub and rock that bubble bath. Keep a glass of wine within reach, because reasons.
- Go for a drive without running an errand. (Is that even possible?) Make it possible!
- Hook up with your best mom friend and enjoy some wine (whine) time. No play dates allowed.
I don’t know about you, but a few of these I haven’t done in so long. It’s about time I take a time out and show myself some love. What do you do to take care of yourself in the midst of all the chaos? Add your favourite “me” indulgence in the comments below, and Happy Valentine’s Day.
Now where did I put those pants?…
Like what you read? Share it with a friend you think needs to take some time for herself. I know she’ll thank you for it. Rock that subscribe button over there to get new posts delivered straight to your inbox. You bring your sense of humour, I’ll bring the wine. Thanks so much for reading.